The Friends of the Farmington Libraries is a supportive group which as approximately 700 members with a working committee of 35-40. Membership is open to anyone. The annual fee is $15 for an individual and $20 for a family. Sustaining and Patron memberships are also available for a larger donation.
Interested in becoming a Friend? Click here.
Read our latest newsletter here.
National Friends of Libraries Week
October 15 – 21, 2017
National Friends of the Libraries Week is the perfect opportunity for the Friends of Farmington Libraries to provide information about our contributions to the Farmington community.
Established in 1946, our Friends of the Farmington Libraries group donates $40,000 to $60,000 annually to fund children’s and adult programming, provide new furniture, contribute funding to new and emerging technology, fund scholarships and museum passes. Additionally, the Friends purchase books for adults, children and babies, help fund the operating budget and support staff training and care for the library gardens.
Currently over 500 community members contribute annually to the Friends and nearly 35 of these contributors actively volunteer their time to assist the group with fundraising efforts which include book sales in the spring and fall.
“The library has always played an important role in my life and in my family’s life,” said Friends Chair Linda Chapron. “I truly enjoy being able to give something back and being an active member of this group is fun!”
To learn more about how to become a member of the Friends, please contact the Farmington Libraries (860-673-6791).
We are very grateful for your donations! Without your generosity, we would not be able to raise
money as we (Friends) do at our yearly book sales & BOOK NOOK, which benefit the many
library programs we all enjoy.
Based on our experience with donations, we do have to impose some guidelines as to age and
condition of the books. We can no longer take old books, especially those that have been
basement/garage or attic stored and those books where dates are important to their content. All
donated books need to be CLEAN, not torn or tattered or written in.
As you collect books for donation, consider these rules:
• No adult hardcover fiction books before 2012
• No travel guides, finance, medical/health/diet books before 2012
• No computer books, ‘IDIOTS’ & ‘DUMMIES’ books before 2014
• No audiocassettes or VHS tapes
• No magazines, encyclopedias or Reader’s Digest books
• No large sets of books before 2010 except for classics
We especially like to receive the following:
• Materials & books about Farmington & New England
• Large print books
• Recent bestsellers for adults and children
• All ages children’s books, hardcover and paperback
• Clean copies of classics, poetry, literature & foreign language
• Non-fiction books on science, business, parenting, self-help, history, politics, religion, travel, etc.
• Cookbooks & gardening books
• “Coffee Table” or other special interest books (antiques, collectibles, art, etc.)
• CD’s, DVD’s, books on CD
• Unique vintage books that are clean and intact
If you would like a receipt for tax purposes, please ask at the circulation desk.
Others helpful suggestions:
If possible, please limit your donations to one or two boxes or bags at a time. Donations may be brought to the circulation desks at the Barney Library or main Farmington Library throughout the year.
Don’t forget to “shop” our BOOK NOOK throughout the year!
Email the Friends of The Library