Did you know?
Reading to Eli & Murphy, the Library Dogs, can boost reading skills in children as well as help with emotional and social skills. There are many benefits to reading with a Therapy dog. Here are just a few:
- Dogs are non-judgmental so children are less self-conscious, the dog won’t laugh or correct
- Most children have a natural affinity and bond with dogs and those that are hesitant can learn to trust a therapy dog by reading a book to the dog
- Children are allowed to improve their reading skills in a fun, relaxed atmosphere
- Results show that it decreases stress over reading aloud in class
- It can enhance self-esteem, motivate speech and build confidence
Brand new readers, apprehensive readers, and avid readers alike will benefit from snuggling up to a canine companion.
Call the Library at 860-673-6791 to schedule your 15 minute one-on-one appointment. Spaces are limited. Under 3 must be accompanied by an adult.
Riding Times for Tinker
- Monday 11 AM – 12 PM
- Tuesday 7 PM – 8 PM
- Wednesday 11 AM – 12 PM
- Thursday 7 PM – 8 PM
- Friday 2 PM – 3 PM
- Saturday 11 AM – 12 PM
Tinker is our mechanical horse, named after a much-beloved former Children’s Librarian. Stop in to meet her and go for a ride!
1000 Books Before Kindergarten
Enroll your preschool child in 1000 Books before Kindergarten, generously sponsored by Friends of the Farmington Library! When you register, you will receive a notebook and your first reading log to record books #1 to #100. After you have read and recorded 100 books on your list, you will receive your book bag, imprinted with the logo of the program and your next reading log. At each visit you will receive a sticker to add to our bulletin board. Certificates will be given in August for children who have completed the program during the year.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who can participate? You needn’t be a Farmington resident to participate. Anyone can participate.
- Why should we participate in this program? Reading to your child is one of the most important things you can do to ensure their success when they start school.
- Can more than one child enter from one family? Yes, but you will receive one book bag.
- Do I have to read certain books? You can read any book to your child, but you can only count each title one time.
- Do I need to show my reading list at each check-in? Yes, bring your notebook to the library.