What’s Happening at the Kids’ Place?
Click on the button to go to the library calendar.
Farmington Libraries Summer Reading 2017:
Build a Better World
Have fun, read books, and earn prizes! Children keep track of the time spent both reading and being read to — and earn prizes! Read your own books or borrow books from the library. No timer is necessary: please just estimate the time you’ve spent reading each book.
Register for summer reading beginning June 1, then start logging your reading minutes all summer long! Program Runs until August 28!
2017 Summer Reading Lists for Farmington Public Schools
Did you know?
Reading to Lucy, the Library Dog, can boost reading skills in children as well as help with emotional and social skills. There are many benefits to reading with a Therapy dog. Here are just a few…
- Dogs are non-judgmental so children are less self-conscious, the dog won’t laugh or correct
- Most children have a natural affinity and bond with dogs and those that are hesitant can learn to trust a therapy dog by reading a book to the dog
- Children are allowed to improve their reading skills in a fun, relaxed atmosphere
- Results show that it decreases stress over reading aloud in class
- It can enhance self-esteem, motivate speech and build confidence
Brand new readers, apprehensive readers, and avid readers alike will benefit from snuggling up to a canine companion. Make your appointment to read to Lucy today!
Riding Times for Tinker
- Mondays: 11:00am-12:00pm
- Tuesdays: 7:00pm-8:00pm
- Wednesdays: 11:00am-12:00pm
- Thursdays: 7:00pm-8:00pm
- Fridays: 2:00pm-3:00pm
- Saturdays: 11:00am-12:00pm
1000 Books Before Kindergarten
Enroll your preschool child in our new program, 1000 Books before Kindergarten, generously sponsored by Friends of the Farmington Library. When you register, you will receive a notebook and your first reading log to record books #1 to #100.
After you have read and recorded 100 books on your list, you will receive your book bag, imprinted with the logo of the program and your next reading log.
At each visit you will receive a sticker to add to our bulletin board.
Certificates will be given in August for children who have completed the program during the year.
What You Need To Know…
- Who can participate? You needn’t be a Farmington resident to participate. Anyone can participate.
- Why should we participate in this program? Reading to your child is one of the most important things you can do to ensure their success when they start school.
- Can more than one child enter from one family? Yes, but you will receive one book bag.
- Do I have to read certain books? You can read any book to your child, but you can only count each title one time.
- Do I need to show my reading list at each check-in? Yes, bring your notebook to the library.