Register for Programs
Did you know?
Reading to Eli, Darwin, & Lulu the Library Dogs can boost reading skills in children as well as help with emotional and social skills. There are many benefits to reading with a Therapy dog. Here are just a few:
- Dogs are non-judgmental so children are less self-conscious, the dog won’t laugh or correct
- Most children have a natural affinity and bond with dogs and those that are hesitant can learn to trust a therapy dog by reading a book to the dog
- Children are allowed to improve their reading skills in a fun, relaxed atmosphere
- Results show that it decreases stress over reading aloud in class
- It can enhance self-esteem, motivate speech and build confidence
Brand new readers, apprehensive readers, and avid readers alike will benefit from snuggling up to a canine companion.
Call the Library at 860-673-6791 to schedule your 15 minute one-on-one appointment. Spaces are limited. Under 3 must be accompanied by an adult.
Riding Times for Tinker
- Monday 11 AM – 12 PM
- Tuesday 7 PM – 8 PM
- Wednesday 11 AM – 12 PM
- Thursday 7 PM – 8 PM
- Friday 2 PM – 3 PM
- Saturday 11 AM – 12 PM
Tinker is our mechanical horse, named after a much-beloved former Children’s Librarian. Stop in to meet her and go for a ride!
1000 Books Before Kindergarten
Enroll your child in our 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program, generously sponsored by the Friends of the Farmington Library. When you register, you will receive a binder with your fist reading log to record books #1-100. Fill out a pawprint for each time you read with your child.
After each 100 books are completed, please bring your child into the library to receive a sticker to place on the log sheet recognizing their success, and pick up the next log sheet.
Keep reading and tracking your books! After you have read 300 books, you will receive a book bag, imprinted with logo of the program.
After you have read 500 books, your child will receive a free book for reaching the halfway mark!
Certificates will be given in August for children who have completed the program during the year.